October 08, 2004
From the papers...19
Responding to Edu. Minister's initiative for secondary schools to have more choices of examination subjects, some schools are looking at Economics, Computer studies, Drama and even Sociology as possibilities.
Sociology? At the secondary school level? Why get them disillusioned at such an early stage? Then again, not everyone who went through the toils of Sociology readings came out disillusioned and pained. There are happy sociologists.
xxx
How could any parent be able to come to terms with his/her own premature baby being let off life support? What does it mean when doctors deem an infant's future life to be of terrible quality? What meaning is there when you see your baby gasping for breath in a plastic box, wrapped like a mummy in a temperature that is fit for beach bikini? I just finished reading 'The Family Way' by Tony Parsons. Got some imagined insights on this whole idea of having a baby.
xxx
Why would anyone have the heart to throw a child down from an almost fatal height?
xxx
I don't know who were their respondents but I definitely do not belong to the 76% who felt insecure without handphones. Maybe for that 2 minutes between the time I realised I left it out from my very disorganised bag to the time I decided the probability of me missing an all important call is ultimately low anyway! And if I need to call, there are the public phones, ya? I'm the kind I still have a phonecard in my wallet even though I joined the 98% who owns a mobile. I do not need my handphone as an emergency address book too, since I remember the telly numbers of all my family members (and some close relatives) and frequently-called friends, or a key friend who will then know the numbers of many other friends.
Forgot handphone? 'Oh, shit!' 2 minutes. 'What the heck!' Then on, it's a taste of the good old carefree days!
Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 21:24